As of January 1, 2004, organizations in Canada that collect, use or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities will have to comply with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").As required by the legislation, SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. has put in place policies and procedures to effectively safeguard any confidential information that we have on file or collect going forward. To meet our obligations, we closely follow the ten fundamental principles set out under PIPEDA.
2. Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. will identify the purposes for which it collects the personal information before or when we ask for the information. We will not use or disclose this information for any other purpose other than those for which it was collected. We collect personal information to ensure that we have all information:
- to operate an account
- to provide additional services requested by the client
- to properly report account status back to the client
- to provide all required tax reporting
- to properly discharge our regulatory responsibilities with respect to suitability assessment and other securities rules
- to properly discharge our obligations under federal anti-money laundering and suppression of terrorism legislation
- to meet our obligations as a member of various self-regulatory organizations
3. Client Consent
The prior knowledge and permission of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
4. Limiting Collection
We collect personal information only to the extent that is necessary for the purposes identified above. The personal information is collected using policies and procedures that are fair and lawful.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. will use or disclose personal information only for the reasons it was collected, unless a client provides consent to use or disclose it for another reason, or law requires it. Client information on file will be kept for the standard period of seven years from the final closing of the client file, or the date the last service was provided to the client. The type of information we collect is limited to the following:
- the fundamental "know your client" information contained in the SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. New Client Application Form
- information required for tax reporting purposes
- information required to meet anti-money laundering and suppression of terrorism requirements
- other information required to meet obligations imposed by securities regulations, SRO rules or other laws
6. Keeping Information Accurate
SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. has a responsibility to ensure that all personal information on file is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Clients may, in writing, request that their personal information be amended as appropriate.
7. Safeguarding Personal Information
Security safeguards are in place to protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification regardless of the format in which it is held. SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd..'s safeguards vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information. The highest level of protection is given to the most sensitive personal information.
SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. ensures that clients have access to information regarding the policies and practices we use to manage their personal information. This information is made available in a variety of formats so it is readily available and easy to understand.
Clients may request in writing access to their personal information. SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd. will inform the client whether the organization holds personal information and provide an account of the use that has been made of this information, as well as identify any third parties to which the information has been disclosed. When a client demonstrates the inaccuracy or incompleteness of personal information, the information will be amended as required.
10. Complaints and Suggestions
If you would like to make an inquiry, suggestion or complaint regarding SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd.'s personal information practices, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer at 1-888-303-5055 or by
SEAMARK Asset Management (2013) Ltd.
1801 Hollis Street, Suite 810
Halifax, NS B3J 3N4
Telephone: (902) 423-9367
Toll Free: (888) 303-5055
Fax: (902) 423-0726